The Planning for the golf course goes back a long way. In 1938 the then Northcote City Council purchased crown land along the Merri Creek with a view to providing recreational facilities along the water front. A few years later they purchased 24 acres from James Brown’s Croft Bank Dairy directly behind the now 6th tee. This culmination of old dairy land, crown land and part of an old rubbish tip is what we now know as the Northcote Golf Course.
In 1960 the Council contracted Sam Berriman to design a 9 hole course on the land. Mr Berriman came with high credentials having designed Sale, Horsham, Shepparton, Latrobe, Keysborough and Southern Golf Courses. He also spent many years as Curator of Huntingdale.
The Course officially opened by the Mayor Councillor F.G. Ford on 15 December 1962 with over 1000 people attending a 9 hole exhibition match between
Doug Bachli the 1949 Victorian Amateur Champ & 1954 British Amateur Champ
Tom Crow – 1956 Victorian Amateur Champ & 1961 Australian Amateur Champ
Ralph Judd – 1962 Victorian Junior Champ
Les O’Shay – 1960 Australian medallist
Mr Jeff Giles was the Course professional. Green fees were 6 shillings for 18 holes.
The Club was officially formed in April 1963. The Club would meet under the porch of the Pro Shop on Saturday mornings for their weekly round. An approach was made to the Council to build a Clubhouse and the application was refused and through persistence approval was eventually given.
On 10/8/66 Council approved the building of a Clubhouse designed by Mr Ron Crocker.
In 1967 Jeff Giles went guarantor for a loan of $2500 to build the Clubhouse. 150 members paid a $10.00 levy and a joining fee was introduced to help cover the building cost. The Clubhouse was built on the present site and opened by the appropriately named Mayor of Northcote Cr. Caddy, on the 10th December 1967. The Clubhouse was extended to its current size in 1985 and provides a modern facility for its members.
To also prove Northcote was a traditional working class area in those days, the new Clubhouse was broken into the night before the official opening. However in true Northcote style, the show went on. Life Membership was given to O.B. “Bruce” Smith for his work in establishing the Club and as inaugural President.
The Club plays competition every Saturday morning beginning at 6.30 a.m. or at first light after this time. Guests with an official Australian handicap are welcome to play in any Saturday competition - please phone 9484 6961 as bookings are necessary to play with the Club.